Winter is coming and before we know it, Christmas will be here and we’ll be snuggled up in front of a roaring fire as the rain beats down outside. Winter is a time to enjoy hearty meals and indulgent festive foods. While this is great news for food lovers, you may be worried about what you can eat if you have braces. If you’re undergoing orthodontic treatment, don’t panic. You can still enjoy a wide range of foods. Here are five of the best winter warmers for you to try:
- Scrambled eggs: there are few better ways to kick-start your day than with a plate of freshly scrambled eggs. This is a soft food, which will be easy for you to manage with your braces, and it’s a great healthy option. Eggs are rich in protein and you’ll feel full until lunch time.
- Soup: a classic winter warmer, soup is a versatile option you can enjoy at lunch and dinner time. There are all kinds of varieties on offer and you can buy fresh cartons or make your own. Soup is often a healthy option and many products are packed with vegetables containing essential nutrients and vitamins.
- Mashed potato: there’s nothing better than creamy mashed potato on a wet and windy day. Potatoes are a good source of complex carbohydrates, which release energy slowly. Serve with bakes beans and bacon or fish and parsley sauce for a simple yet delicious meal.
- Porridge: some cereals can be tricky to eat with braces. Porridge is a healthy alternative to sugary cereals and it won’t get trapped in your braces. Add berries, honey or a spoonful of jam to add flavour. Porridge oats are rich in fibre and they release energy over a period of time, so you shouldn’t have to worry about hunger pains!
- Yoghurt: if you’re looking for a healthy dessert, look no further than natural yoghurt. Add berries, chop up a banana or drizzle over some honey if you have a sweet tooth. Natural yoghurt is low in sugar and it is also a good source of calcium. Calcium helps to keep your teeth, bones and nails strong.