Summer is a time when many of us make an extra effort to be healthy. At Aqua Dental, we strongly believe that prevention is better than cure, and we’re always keen to offer advice and tips to encourage our patients to enjoy healthy, beautiful smiles. If you’re eager to look after your teeth this summer, here are 5 simple steps you can take:
- Brush twice-daily: brushing is so crucial for good oral health because it removes food debris and eliminates harmful bacteria from the mouth. If you don’t brush frequently, this increases the risk of dental decay and gum disease. We encourage our patients to brush every morning and evening for at least 2 minutes each time.
- Book a dental check: if you haven’t been to the dentist yet this year, now is the perfect time to book a dental check. Nobody wants to spend the holidays suffering with toothache or a dental infection. Check-ups last a few minutes and they’re completely painless. If you see a dentist on a regular basis, this can lower the risk of oral diseases by up to 60 percent.
- Floss: brushing is brilliant for your teeth, but you can’t clean the whole of your mouth with a toothbrush. Flossing helps to target the areas you can’t reach with your brush, such as the gum line and the tiny gaps between your teeth. We recommend daily flossing or brushing with inter-dental brushes.
- Go steady on sugary summer treats: summer is a time when many of us like to indulge a sweet tooth. With fizzy drinks, ice lollies and garden parties teaming with cakes and biscuits, this is a time when our teeth can suffer. Try and moderate your intake of sugary treats and drinks and only eat at mealtimes if possible.
- Swap your toothbrush: if you’ve been cleaning your teeth with the same brush or brush head for longer than 3 months, it’s time to replace your brush head or buy a new manual brush. Worn bristles don’t clean as deeply as newer brushes.