How to make sure your teeth have a Happy New Year December 26th, 2018
The festive period is just around the corner, and what better time to think about keeping your smile in tip-top condition? If you’re keen to ensure your teeth have a Happy New Year, here are some simple steps you can take:
- Book a dental check: if you haven’t been to the dentist in the last 6-2 months, pick up the phone and ring and make an appointment today. Regular appointments can reduce the risk of dental health issues, preserve your beautiful smile and lower the risk of injuries and dental pain.
- Keep up to speed with dental hygiene: Christmas is a hectic time of year, but that doesn’t mean that your teeth should suffer. Make sure you make time every morning and evening to brush your pearly whites and give them a good polish. We also recommend daily flossing.
- Steer clear of sugar: many of us like to indulge over Christmas and the New Year, and there’s nothing wrong with this, but spare a thought for your smile. There’s no harm in having a pudding every day for a few days over the Christmas period, but go steady. You don’t need to eat chocolate and cakes for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day just because it’s Christmas.
- Stick to main meals: snacking can be really damaging for your teeth, so try and stick to main meals if you can. When you eat, bacteria in the mouth release acids, which weaken the enamel. It takes time for the enamel to recover, and if you’re grazing all the time, this process cannot be completed.
- Go easy on the fizzy drinks and alcohol: New Year is a time for celebration, and this often means drinking more than usual. If you are heading out or going to a party, moderate your intake of alcohol and opt for drinks that have low sugar content. Stick to diet mixers and avoid alcopops or flavoured beers or ciders.